Shelly B.

Position: Adoption Coordinator

My First Rescue Experience: 

ROSIE
Gender: Female
Age: 3 years old 
Weight: 8.6 pounds
Breed: Terrier/Pomeranian mix


Rosie had been severely abused. 
She was tied up outside for hours at a time with no shelter and had been sunburned while sitting outside. She lived most days in her crate and in her own urine and fecis. She had also been nearly eaten alive by fleas. 

She was part of the first meet and greet adoption event at the "Big R" on October 10, 2010. 

She was very stressed and had a very hard time at that event, but we stuck it out.  I took her to get her routine shots, just a few days after that event. We had an applicant that I thought might be a good home for her.  The vet tech thought she might have mange (a class of persistent contagious skin diseases caused by parasitic mites), so we immediately put her on hold. We went sure because Doctor B was not in the office when we went in for her vet visit  Only a week into foster care, and this poor baby girl had already been through so much!
We drove back to Nappanee IN, and I called Julie, and said   

"let me keep her, and I'll pay for all her vet bills. I guarantee you that she will have the best of care for the rest of her life" 

After we drove back to Doctor B's office in Syracuse IN. Rosie had been diagnosed with Seborrhea, and with severe flea allergies.  Julie, of course made sure I'd continue to foster if she allowed me to keep Rosie and of course, I said I would. After thinking about it for a few short hours, Julie emailed me and said, "congrats, it's an itchy, stinky girl, she's yours"